Introducing Ubuntu MID Edition – full Internet, no compromise
Ubuntu MID Edition targets an exciting new class of computers called Mobile Internet Devices. Ubuntu MID, based on the world’s most popular Linux distribution, and MID hardware from OEMs and ODMs, is redefining what can be done in mobile computing.
Ubuntu MID Edition, a fully open source project, gives the full Internet, with no compromise. Custom options may include licensed codecs and popular third-party applications.
- Full Web 2.0/AJAX fidelity, with custom options of Adobe Flash®, Java, and more
- Outstanding media playback so you can enjoy videos, music and photos with superior quality and easy navigation
- A suite of applications that work seamlessly to meet every need of a digital parent, student or anyone who is on-the-go
- Facebook®, MySpace®, YouTube®, Dailymotion®, 3D games, GPS, maps, in short, the full Web 2.0 experience delivered into your hands as a compact and powerful device that’s easy and fun to use
The product of Canonical collaboration with Intel® and the open source community, Ubuntu MID Edition is the software that makes it all possible.
Just the right stuff
Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded just works, and it works just right.
Just the right applications provide an uncompromised Web 2.0 experience: Web browsing, email, media, camera, VoIP, instant messaging, GPS, blogging, digital TV, games, contacts, dates/calendar, simple software updates… and lots more.
All unnecessary complexity in the user experience is eliminated.
Finger friendly, touch driven
Ubuntu MID is finger friendly, with no stylus needed. You drive Ubuntu MID with touch. Simply tap the screen or drag a finger to make gestures for intuitive navigation and control.
- Tap an application with your finger to launch it, and tap menus and buttons to use them.
- Swipe a web page to pan up, down or sideways.
- Swipe a video, photo, song or thumbnail page to move to the next or the previous one.
Leveraging the MID
MIDs typically have the following features and attributes:
- Small size/form factor
- 4 to 7 inch touch screen
- Physical and/or virtual keyboard
- Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, WiMAX
- 2GB to 8GB Flash or disk storage, 256MB+ memory/512MB+ recommended
- OpenGL 3D
- USB, camera, head phone jack, speakers, microphone
Ubuntu MID Edition is highly flexible and customizable. It is an ideal platform for the kind of product differentiation that reaches target users and penetrates key markets.
- User interface in HTML, Flash, Clutter, Python with GTK, C/C++ with GTK and Java
- Different application sets for different products or configurations
- Integration with popular Web 2.0 sites
- Internationalization and translation support to meet market requirements
- Custom sets of licensed media codecs and third-party proprietary software for commercial partners
- Custom engineering
OEMs, ODMs, operators and developers can customize Ubuntu MID to their desired look and feel and offer just the right capabilities to meet their specific requirements. Canonical can assist through its Custom Engineering program.
For information about Canonical custom engineering services, email email@example.com.
The Ubuntu MID Edition is produced by the Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded community that includes many individuals and organizations and always welcomes new participants and partners.
Places to get started:
- For information about UM&E, see http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded
- For information about Intel’s MID Linux Moblin project, see http://moblin.org